Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A slave to my machine

A few months back, I accepted a contract job from a woman who sells little girl's a-line dresses. It doesn't pay that much but since I don't have an income to call my own, I'll take what I can get. Most weeks, I get an order to make 6 dresses at a time. I can handle that. I used to set aside Mondays and get all 6 dresses made and out the door. That way, I still had my week to take care of the house, laundry, playtime, etc.

Since summer has entered my life, things have gotten a little nuts. Vacation, VBS, church camp, new grandbaby, Independence Day, etc. has kept me running so far. Two weeks ago, I received an order to make 28 dresses. WHAT? Ok, she did give me 4 weeks to complete the order .. whew! Still .. why does that overwhelm me? I managed to get the first 5 made and then it came to a screeching halt.

I spent yesterday at my machine all day.

Photobucket


I literally had to make myself sew. When the day came to an end, I had a stack of 16 dresses made. Only 12 more to go ::sigh:: I've set a goal to have them made and out the door by next Monday .. that's IT ... not one more day.

Photobucket


I'll never look at gingham the same way again.

Photobucket


There was a time when I used my machine to make such creations as these:

Photobucket

Photobucket


Now that I think about it, I was a slave back then too ... never mind.

No comments: